Educational Specialist

Educational Specialist (Ed. S.)

Request Info
Step 1 Step 1 of 2
*Required Field Step 1 of 2
Step 2
Step 2 of 2 « Previous Step

I acknowledge that, by clicking the "submit" button below, I consent to representatives of Carson-Newman University and EducationDynamics, LLC contacting me about educational opportunities via email, text, or phone, at the phone number above, including my mobile phone, using an automatic dialer, or pre-recorded message. Message and data rates may apply. I understand that my consent is not a requirement for enrollment, and I may withdraw my consent at any time.

Designed for full-time educators who already possess at least a master’s degree, the educational specialist program at Carson-Newman takes you to the next level in your career. Complete assignments online and participate in online discussions and group activities in a flexible, online format. During the fall and spring terms, you will finish one three-credit course every eight weeks, and during the summer, you may complete up to four courses.


  • Choose an emphasis in Administrative Leadership or Curriculum and Instruction Leadership.
  • The Teacher Loan Forgiveness program is available for up to $5,000 for graduates who teach for five years in low-income schools and meet other requirements.
  • Graduate students enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours qualify to apply for federal financial aid. If you qualify, you can borrow up to $20,500 per year, which is more than enough to cover the total program cost.
  • You’ll be assigned a personal faculty advisor, who will help draft a course plan tailored to your specific goals.
  • Take an additional 9 hours in research courses and complete a dissertation to earn a Doctor of Education degree from Carson-Newman.



According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), graduates with an Ed.S. degree can pursue employment in a variety of careers, including:

Admisions Requirements

  • Official transcripts from all institutions in which you have attended
  • 3.3 minimum GPA from graduate studies
  • Statement of purpose
  • Two references
  • Sample of scholarly writing you have completed in the past. APA-formatted master’s research or thesis is preferred.
  • If you have a valid Professional Educators License, please submit a copy of your certificate to the Graduate Information Office by email.

Carson-Newman is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees.

The Educational Specialist program is fully accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). For information regarding the CAEP Annual Reporting Measures, click here.